True Witnessing - Re-examining My Heart


Written January 10, 2010

It’s a battle for me. To know what is true witnessing. Living a real Christian life. Yes, I could produce number of quotes on this. But I'm talking practice - where the rubber meets the road. I’ve been trained to share my faith. Trained to start spiritual conversations. Share literature. Give Bible studies. Yet I personally hate when people are obnoxious with their faith. I’m afraid of being obnoxious myself. I don’t want to turn them off! I don’t want them to think I just do it for my church. But when I back down from risk of sounding too “religious” with people, or maybe fail to give literature to everyone I talk to, then I feel guilty for “chickening out” of possible opportunities.

Honestly, I think witnessing in its truest sense is harder. It requires investment. Anyone can give out pamphlets. Anyone can work up the nerve to go door-to door and be “bold” for an afternoon. But sometimes, these things can be used to quickly appease our “witnessing quota” for the week and then be forgotten and normal life resumed - no strings attached. Bible work requires a bit more commitment, but still can be regaled to finding the “A” interests, putting in hours, getting a number of studies, baptisms, etc. And often, when our time as “Bible worker” is over so is the friendship.

Today I felt misinterpreted by a friend as the very thing I hate. We went to see some neighbors. I felt I was overcoming my fear by actually talking about spiritual things and Bible studies. I was really trying NOT to be pushy – specifically! I was praying the whole time, and these people had been a burden on my heart. But how did it come across? Am I acting what I say I believe about really caring and befriending people? If so, am I willing to wait and put in the time for a friendship that’s more than studies? How many times do I almost avoid possible divine appointments because of the potential investment and long-term connotations of the encounter? “I just don’t have time right now…” Have I been spoiled by the ease of hit-and-run witnessing?

I realize that in writing this I may seem to be demeaning ministries I actually believe in and have given years of my life to – like literature evangelism and Bible work. That is not the intent. The point is a call to myself to examine my own heart and motives. WHY do I do what I do? Is it really with love and care for PEOPLE - not projects or converts? I pray that it is. I believe that it is. But if it is, do I show it? Am I willing to put in what it takes – to invest MYSELF? True witnessing…God, please help me learn.


"Though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal." 1 Cor. 13:11

Comments

Popular Posts